Debian Package Search is a GUI for searching packages and showing package information. It is aimed to help you find the packages you need. It should make the task of searching a pleasant experience.
Search can be done by
* full text in package descriptions/names
* tags (based on the debtags system, a new way of categorizing Debian packages)
* installed status
* orphaned packages
Additionally a lot of information about the packages is displayed, including the files belonging to them.
It is also possible to install or remove packages.
Debian Package Search is part of the Debian distribution, so you can install it simply by running apt-get install packagesearch. It is listed here only to increase awareness for it. The source can be downloaded from the SourceForge page or retrieved via "apt-get source packagesearch".
As its name suggest, it is useful for Debian or other apt-based distributions only.
4 years ago
------- released version 2.7.3 ------
- disabled C++0x support to avoid crashes when linking against libept
(it seems they do not cooperate (crash) when compiled with different
c++0x support settings)
- fix to show the correct long description (Closes: #676812)
-> directly use libapt-pkg now
------- released version 2.7.2 ------
- changed RunCommandInXterm to use /usr/bin/uxterm, because
only there I can guarantee consistent behaviour (Closes: #676811)
- make APT default installation tool
- inform user to configure to use apt if aptitude
is not available (Closes: #676810)
- fixed displaying file list (multiarch support)
------- released version 2.7.1 ------
- fixed COPYRIGHT file to make lintian happy
- changed build infrastructure to use "dh"
------- released version 2.7 (never officially) ------
- enabled hardening options
- fixed problem qith QT 4.8: virtual base classes make QT break
-> Plugin no longer inherits from QObject, instead each child
plugin must inherit from QObject on its own
- updated help page
- updated spanish translation (thanks Frannoe!)
- fixed bug disallowing translations to translate column title for
"Name" or "Score"
- proxy server settings are now saved
- added support for configuring proxy server (still no yet saved)
- Fixed compiler error caused by xapian having a slots member
variable (Closes: #639076)
- added support for displaying the "Homepage" field (Closes: #598193)
- completed support for displaying screenshots
- fixed filtering of Tag-list based on search pattern
- fixed full text search for excluding patterns
------- released version 2.6 ------
- searching for similar packages is now based on full text description
- switched to apt-xapian search backend
- added dependency to libdl (Closes: #555881)