KSmoothDock is a cool desktop panel with parabolic zooming effect for KDE Plasma 5 desktop. While visually it is inspired by Mac OS X's Dock, it aims to follow the traditional Linux model of desktop panel with launchers, pager, taskbar and system tray. Currently KSmoothDock only supports launchers and pager, and is meant to use in conjunction with a Plasma 5 panel that provides taskbar and system tray.
KSmoothDock is written in C++ and depends on Qt 5 and KDE Frameworks 5.
For more information, please visit Wiki page: https://github.com/dangvd/ksmoothdock/wiki
To build, extract the ksmoothdock-5.2.tar.gz file, then, from within the extracted ksmoothdock-5.2 directory, run:
$ cmake src
You can now start the program by running the ksmoothdock binary created in that directory, i.e.:
You can also install the program by running:
$ sudo make install
After this installation (which basically copies the binary from ksmoothdock-5.2 directory to the BIN directory e.g. /usr/local/bin), you can run this command from any directory to start the program:
v5.2 6 days ago
1. New feature: Auto Hide
- Can be turned on/off from the context menu
- If turned on, hide the dock when the user leaves it and show it when the user moves the mouse on the edge of the screen that the dock resides
2. Bug fixes/Minor improvements:
- Corrects dock's height in vertical position with pager turned on
- Handles wallpaper loading error better
- Adds "Do-not-show-again" to wallpaper setting info message box
- If custom wallpaper is set with pager, draws a border around the pager icon for the current desktop
- Message box that recommends on the wallpaper setting feature of the pager, if it's not used (can be turned off with "Do-not-show-again")
- Corrects the icon of the default System Settings launcher item (the one created automatically when the user starts the dock for the first time)
v5.1 20 days ago
- New feature: Pager
+ Can turn on/off pager from KSmoothDock's context menu
+ Click on a desktop icon switch to that virtual desktop, or, if it's already the current desktop, show/hide the desktop
+ Can set different wallpapers for each desktop (this requires Plasma desktop widgets to stay unlocked)
+ If individual wallpapers are set, the icons will be the mini version of the wallpapers
- Bug fixed: KSmoothDock now shows on all virtual desktops even if launched from Plasma Quicklaunch
v5.0.3 22 days ago
- Bug fixed: KSmoothDock is now visible on all virtual desktops (if the user has multiple virtual desktops enabled).
v5.0.2 26 days ago
- Sync the settings to disk immediately when the user clicks Ok/Apply from the Settings dialog. Previously the sync only happened when the user exited the program.
- Use stricter compiling flags to help prevent potential bugs.
v5.0.1 27 days ago
- Bug fixed: KSmoothDock is now limited to one single instance only.
- Clean-up: Show Desktop is now more consistent with Plasma's show-desktop behavior.
v5.0 28 days ago
Major rewrite for KDE Plasma 5. Depends on Qt 5 and KDE Frameworks 5.
Currently the panel only supports launchers (including a Show Desktop item), but more features will be considered.