UPDATED for KDE 4.6
This is a fork of the tasks applet you know from KDE extended by some extra features. Version 0.2 is the same tasks applet as you have in KDE 4.6.2 + the "icon only"-mode.
The inital additional feature to the common task applet is to hide the text labels of applications - just displaying the icons. Cudos for the feature itself goes to the plasma-devs. Since KDE 4.5 the taskbar will hide the text-label if there is "not enough room". I just added an option to force this behaviour. The plasma-devs have rejected this as a configuration option for the vanilla tasks applet.
REQUIREMENTS (tested, might be lower):
- You need a working GNU Compiler toolchain.
- KDE >= 4.4 Headers files (kde development packages)
- QT >= 4.6 Header files (QT development packages)
HOW TO INSTALL
In the main directory run
- cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix`
- make install/strip (as root or: sudo make install/strip )
The applet is named "Flexible Task Manager" in the applet list.